Sunday, May 20, 2012

Brie and Raspberry Hors D'oeuvres

     This recipe is for the brie lovers out there. I, myself, enjoy a good en croute around the holidays, but tonight I made a tasty little treat for any time of year!



You will need:
2 oz brie cheese
1 tsp sugar (preferably brown)
1-1mm slice of butter (a tiny "pat," if you will)
2 tbsp apricot preserves
1/4 c raspberries (frozen or fresh)
orange zest
an oven preheated to 350

     I made a small portion, suitable for a crowd of 5 or less. If you are serving more then multiply the recipe by 3, since most rounds of brie are 6 oz. (Some are 8 oz, in that case, multiply by 4. I assume most people can do basic math, but you never know.) Just go by the amount of brie you use in comparison to the amount I used.

     If you are new to brie, this would be a nice way to introduce yourself to it. In case you are not familiar, brie is a creamy French cheese made from cow's milk. It definitely has a funk to it, but I think it's a friendly funk, not repulsive, like some cheeses can have. I cut the crust off for this particular dish, but there's nothing wrong with leaving this edible crust on.

     Start by placing your chunk of brie in a baking dish or ramekin, top with sugar and that little slice of butter.

I used white sugar because I was out of brown, but if you have brown, use it.



     Bake the cheese until creamy. It can take 5-15 minutes, depending on your oven. When it's done, stir the ingredients together. Keep an eye on it, because you want it creamy, not runny. If you accidentally let it go too long, letting it cool for a bit can help get it to the ideal consistency. Like so:

It looks like an empty ramekin, but there is in fact cheese in it.
     While the brie is getting to know the butter and sugar in the oven, heat the apricot preserves in a small saucepan, on low.

I use "no added sugar" preserves, but if you prefer the regular version, the finished product will just be a bit sweeter.

     Add the raspberries. I used frozen, so if you use fresh, just add about 1-3 tsp of water. Throw the orange zest in while you're at it.


     Heat until thin, stirring pretty much constantly with a wooden/bamboo spatula.

 
     When both the sauce and cheese mixture are done, pour the sauce over the cheese. If you are serving this at a shindig, I would plate the cheese, then pour the sauce over. I, however, was eating this by myself so I just mixed them together; it's not as pretty. Serve with crackers or crostini. Spread the mixture upon your chosen vessel and enjoy.

I recommend these crackers.
     For someone who has not quite acquired the taste for brie, but would like to enjoy these, you can spread a layer of apricot preserves on the cracker before adding the raspberries and brie. It makes for a sweeter treat. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...