Saturday, August 25, 2012

Hair tutorial - Loose Curls

I've had so many clients tell me that they can never do their hair like I do, so this is to help women give themselves a sultry look with not much effort. All of my tutorials are on techniques that I think are easy, thus easy to learn. This particular look is for "2nd day curls" or the style to wear the day after you curled your hair. I love having a loose, relaxed, messy look the day after I have had perfect curls. It saves time and you get two looks for the effort of one!


As I said, this is a style for the day after you've curled your entire head. Simply wrap large sections of your hair around your finger, wrapping away from your face. Stop about 2-4 inches from your scalp, so that part of your hair stays straight and transitions in to a curl. Insert two bobby pins around the middle of the curl (one up, one down). You're going to look silly, but you're also going to sleep on it, so it doesn't really matter. I do about 3-4 sections on each side and one barrel roll on the crown of my head. (If your hair is longer than shoulder length, then pin the back sections too.)

Make sure to leave you bangs out.

Yet another lovely example of my inability to make a serious face...

The back, it's not pretty now, but it will be.
Now spray a medium hold or workable hairspray over the curls, I like Catwalk's Session Series, it's what they replaced "Work-it" with. You could also just run some gel or mousse through each section pre-wrap if you don't have a medium hold. You really don't want to use a hard hold or sticky finishing spray at this point because it'll just cause extra frizz. The next step is to go to bed. If you have issues achieving volume, try to put your hair above your head to sleep, so the weight of your head doesn't flatten it. It will get flatter over night, and that's okay, but if your hair is particularly hard to make voluminous, I suggest taking that extra step.

When you wake up, take the bobby pins out and don't freak out because your hair is flat and frizzy, like this:


Simply run some smoothing oil through it, I used Chi's Silk Infusion. (A little goes a long way.)
Then flip your head upside down and run some mousse through it, I used Paul Mitchell's Extra Body Sculpting Foam. Don't completely saturate your hair, you shouldn't have to dry it after, the mousse is just for texture, definition, and hold. Flip your head back over and spray with a finishing spray and smoothing spray, if needed. For the back I just scrunched it and sprayed it, since we're going for a messy look.

Voila!


It really is an easy look to achieve, you may have to run a flat iron through your bangs, but that's better than having to do your whole head! Here are the products I used:

The smoothers

The holders
I hope you enjoy this tutorial and get a sexy new "do" out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...